Saturday, June 13, 2009

Marriage

The more I think about marriage the more I think it is so backwards I just don't understand it. And I don't say that because divorce rates are so high...I say it because I can't see myself being married before the age of 40, if ever. I don't have a problem with commitment, I have a problem with how naive people are towards commitment. Christians are probably the worst, driven by youthful lust they get married and wake up from a haze years later only to realize that they might have made a mistake, but now stuck because of their faith, they duke it out for years and it may turn out all right but they end up asking "What if?". Or those that think they are in love with someone and get married, because that's what you do when you are in love only to find out that they married a piece of garbage of a person and now have to go through the pains of divorce.

Marriage is supposed to be forever and yet most people choose someone while they are still getting an education or not long after they just started working. On average, most people get married right after the first quarter of their life. They have just gone through some of the most drastic changes in their life and they are deciding on who they want to spend the other three quarters of their life with? That, to me, is absurd. It's such a crap shoot that I don't want to even think about it. I am still trying to figure out who I am and what I like, how am I going to know what kind of person I want to spend the rest of my life with? Even when I think I do find that person I am going to take a long time in making that final step...I think marriage should be a celebration of a long standing commitment, not a promise of future commitment. What if, after twenty years with someone you finally got married? You finally celebrated this commitment to one another. You finally went on a honeymoon. To me, that is more beautiful than a traditional marriage.

I guess that's my definition of what kind of girl I'm looking for...one that understands what this post means to me.

No comments: